Don't think 'What if', think 'When!'
Families of people worry about "what if something happens to me and I can't take care of my family member". People with disabilities think what if I could live in A Home of My Own! ACHIEVA's "A Home of My Own" can help families plan for when! ACHIEVA's "A Home of My Own"blends the private resources of families and people with disabilities with public or government funding and natural supports to make living more independent within the community a reality.
"A Home of My Own" offers:
- A home for a person apart from their family’s home
- A choice of geographical location of where you want to reside
- A choice of living in a house, apartment, townhouse, mobile home or duplex
- A choice of who you want to live with
- The opportunity to choose staff (life coaches)
- Individualized supports and services
- A reduction in wait time for supports and services
- An observational assessment of community living skills
- True person-centered planning
- Meaningful community participation based on individual interests
ACHIEVA has Support Brokers that have experience with housing, transportation, employment, health care, government benefits and Medicaid home and community-based waiver supports. Support brokers work with people with disabilities, their families, service coordinators and support coordinators to discuss ideas about housemates, type of housing (house, apartment, condo, mobile home), location, hours of support needed, types of support needed, both natural/paid supports, as well as the type/level of family support.
ACHIEVA has Life Coaches who assist people to meet their individualized goals, including maintaining their home, learning public transportation, meeting new people and learning new skills such as grocery shopping.
"I ONLY WANTED TO HAVE MY VERY OWN DISHWASHER AND NOW I HAVE ONE OF MY VERY OWN,
IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE!"
For more information on "A Home of My Own", please contact Michelle Stockunas at (412) 995-5000 x402 or email@example.com.