Don't think 'What if', think 'When!'
Families members often worry about, "What if something happens to me and I can't take care of my family member". People with disabilities think, "What if I could live in "A Home of My Own"!"
Achieva's "A Home of My Own" can help families plan for when! It blends the private resources of families and people with disabilities, with public or government funding and natural supports to make living more independently within the community a reality.
"A Home of My Own" offers:
- A home for a person apart from their family’s home
- A choice of geographical location of where you want to reside
- A choice of living in a house, apartment, townhouse, mobile home or duplex
- A choice of who you want to live with
- The opportunity to choose staff (life coaches)
- Individualized supports and services
- A reduction in wait time for supports and services
- An observational assessment of community living skills
- True person-centered planning
- Meaningful community participation based on individual interests
Achieva has Supports Brokers that have experience with housing, transportation, employment, health care, government benefits and Medicaid home and community-based waiver supports. Supports brokers work with people with disabilities, their families, service coordinators and support coordinators to discuss ideas about housemates, type of housing (house, apartment, condo), location, hours of support needed, types of support needed, both natural/paid supports, as well as the type/level of family support.
Achieva has Life Coaches who assist people to meet their individualized goals, including maintaining their home, learning public transportation, meeting new people and learning new skills, such as grocery shopping.
Services Offered by "A Home of My Own"
- In-Home and Community Supports
- Companion Services
- Guidance and Support through "Transitions to Independent Living"
- Supports Brokerage
- Housing Tenancy and Sustainability
- High School Transition Planning and Support
- Family Supports through Transitions
- Educational Opportunities, including "Money Club"
"I ONLY WANTED TO HAVE MY VERY OWN DISHWASHER AND NOW I HAVE ONE OF MY VERY OWN,
IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE!"
For more information on "A Home of My Own," please contact Michelle Stockunas at 412.995.5000 x402 or firstname.lastname@example.org.